Ben Hans

Band: Educator/Independent

"I’ve been enjoying playing Aquarian drumheads for over a decade. They are the most versatile, reliable and responsive products available and I and prefer them over any other to truly give me ‘my sound’"

Bio

Ben Hans is a musician and music instructor who keeps a busy performance schedule.  In addition to leading his own jazz trio, Ben performs as a freelance artist, who cut his teeth performing under the tutelage of Jazz Guitarist Jack Grassel and the late Swing Clarinetist Chuck Hedges. 

Performing many genres of music, Ben has shared the stage with a diverse list of artists such as legendary Rudimentalists John S. Pratt and Mitch Markovich, the great Jazz Pianist Barry Harris, singer/songwriter/composer C F Kip Winger, guitar virtuosos Reb Beach and Donnie Wayne Smith, celebrated Saxophonists Eric Morones, Johnny Padilla and Jesse Lee Montijo, Jazz Guitarist Scott DuBois, Blues prodigy Tallan ‘T-Man’ Latz, in addition to performing alongside many great regional jazz artists such as; Rick Embach, Berkeley Fudge, Ken Stein, Tom McGirr, Neil Davis, Pete Billman, Aaron Gardner, Hal Miller, John Babbitt, Michael Arnold, Kirk Tatnall, Mark Solveson, Jeff Schroedl, Jeannine Rivers, Swing Nouveau, and many, many more.  Ben also co-leads several groups with guitarist Steve Peplin – the MATC Jazz Ambassadors as well as the experimental music groups Black Owl and Evocation Trio. 

As an educator, Ben currently instructs student musicians at the Milwaukee Area Technical College as well as the Wisconsin Lutheran College. Ben also instructs private music students at The Wisconsin Academy of Music.

Ben is also an author, proofreader, freelance editor and session performer for Hal Leonard Publishing, with published works including: “Workin’ Drums – 50 Solos for Drumset,” “40 Intermediate Snare Drum Solos,” “Rudimental Solos for the Marching Snare Drummer,” “Modern School for Mallet Keyboard Instruments,“Hal Leonard School for Snare Drum,” and transcriptions of Ray Luzier’s “Double Bass Drum Techniques”, as well as performing on and writing for the Hal Leonard DVD “Traditional Rudimental Drumming” by John S. Pratt. 

Ben is a Yamaha Performing Artist who also currently endorses Aquarian Drumheads, Mike Balter Mallets, Vic Firth Drumsticks, Tycoon Percussion and Istanbul Agop Cymbals.  Ben is a member of ASCAP and John S. Pratt’s ‘International Association of Traditional Drummers’.

Drumheads Preferences

Snare Batter:

Jack DeJohnette

Snare Resonant:

Classic Clear

Tom Batter

Jack DeJohnette

Tom Resonant

Classic Clear

Kick Drum Batter

Jack DeJohnette

Kick Drum Resonant